Sunday, April 23, 2017

‘Nationalism and Hinduism'

With the spotlight now on the practice of triple talaq in the Muslim community, Khan spoke about how his personal experience had shaped his view on the matter.


From triple talaq to Islamophobia, from the “insecurity” that he sees in the “amplification of the azaan” to the now factious subject of nationalism and minorities, there was no subject that actor Saif Ali Khan shied away from during an interview, a day after he was the guest at Express Adda in Mumbai (full transcript to be published this week).
“Nationalism is amazing and important for development, but is that the same as Hinduism? I don’t think so. In a country that has been secular, there are minorities, it will make them uncomfortable. This doesn’t apply to me because my world is more privileged, insular,” he said, adding, “So I don’t mind living in a Hindu State either, just make the law same for everyone.”
With the spotlight now on the practice of triple talaq in the Muslim community, Khan spoke about how his personal experience had shaped his view on the matter. “I’ve had a nikaah before and a divorce. But I didn’t think that triple talaq was the way. I had financial responsibilities towards my ex-wife and children. So I don’t agree with triple talaq because I haven’t followed it. And the Indian Constitution addresses this with the Special Marriage Act. Kareena (Kapoor) and I got married under the Act,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment